[Mrtrix-discussion] Re: color coding of FODs

Donald Tournier d.tournier at brain.org.au
Tue Mar 12 17:25:44 PDT 2013

Hi Zhuang,

The colour-coding is done strictly according to the X,Y,Z components at
that point on the surface, with no regard to which FOD lobe that point
might visually appear to belong to. You'll find the full width at half-max
of the FOD peaks at lmax 8 are around ~20°, so for an off-axis peak like
the one you're showing, the actual peak might be along Z-Y (giving a
greenish-blue colour - cyan), but one side of the lobe might be closer to Z
(blue) and the other closer to Y (green).

Colour-coding according to the closest peak direction could be done, and
might be OK when the peaks are well-defined, but there will definitely be
cases when two peaks are close to each other and aren't resolved properly,
in which case this approach would give misleading results. The current
approach is unambiguous and easy to implement, and as far as I know,
similar to what other packages might do.

Cheers,

Donald.

--
*Dr Jacques-Donald Tournier
*

The Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health
Melbourne Brain Centre - Austin Campus
245 Burgundy Street
Heidelberg  Vic  3084
Ph:  +61 3 9035 7033