[Mrtrix-discussion] having trouble building on CentOS 6

Donald Tournier d.tournier at brain.org.au
Tue Mar 19 16:51:27 PDT 2013

Hi Henry,

Yes, that package was for CentOS6, not RHEL6 as such. I'd expect it to work
just as well though, given that (as far as I know) CentOS6 is based on
RHEL6 - it certainly looks that way from that link I posted. I guess to
install that package you'd have to add the CentOS6 repository to your RPM
manager's list (not sure how to do this), or download all of the CentOS6
-devel packages manually...

Another option similar to Luis' is to grab a compiled version from a
similar system where the dependencies are available, and bring over all of
the missing runtime stuff with it. For example, you could:

   - set up a CentOS6 system (either in a chroot or a VM)
   - compile MRtrix
   - find out what all the relevant runtime dependencies are (e.g. using
   the command "ldd bin/mrview")
   - locate those libaries that don't already exist on your RHEL6 system
   - copy these libraries into the MRtrix lib/ folder, alongside the MRtrix
   library itself
   - copy the bin/ and lib/ folder over to your RHEL6 installation (for the
   lib/ folder, you only need to copy over the actual libraries, not the code)
   - on your RHEL6 system, set up LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the MRtrix
   lib/ folder, or set up ldconfig, as you normally would for a standard
   install (the MRtrix library needs to be in the linker search path anyway).

I managed to get FSLView working on more recent non-Qt3 distros that way
(Ubuntu 12.04 & Arch). It is a bit of work, but actually not all that much
once you've figured out what needs to be done. Certainly no more work than
the full schroot option typically suggested to get around this issue, and
also in my opinion a cleaner solution...

Hope that helps.
Cheers,

Donald.

*