[Mrtrix-discussion] tensor storage and tracts coordinates

Alessandro Calamuneri alecalamuneri at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 05:44:59 PST 2014

Hi, I am new to mrtrix.
I have two questions:

1) You can create tensor components by means of dwi2tensor function. First
of all, which kind of algorithm is used for tensor reconstruction (linear,
non linear, constrained to be positive)? Then, if I use mrconvert to get
tensor components stored into nifti format (i.e.)

mrconvert tensors.mif tensors.nii

nifti file which is generate is a 4d volume. What is the order in which
components are stored? xx,yy,zz,xy,xz,yz or what?

2)My second question is related to mm coordinates that are into tck file. I
would like to visualize them in matlab, I have used mat codes you provide
to load tracts from tck format.  Then, what is the coordinate system they
are related to? Scanner space?
In that case I could obtain voxel coordinates just by using transformation
matrix of one of nifti header of my original dwis, am I wrong?

Hope to have clarified my points.
Thanks a lot in advance!

Best

Alessandro