open-discussion > PSOM in /bin/tcsh
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts
Display:
Results per page:
Jun 19, 2012  01:06 AM | Zaixu Cui
PSOM in /bin/tcsh
Dear Pierre:

Q1: Sorry to tell you that PSOM work well on Ubuntu with /bin/tcsh,but it cannot work on Centos with /bin/tcsh.
I think it's important.

And I have another question. 

Q2: Why do you use 'at' command as it must be started by administrator in MAC and OpenSUSE.
You can use '.' to execute script in /bin/sh & /bin/bash.
And you can use 'source' to execute script in /bin/csh & /bin/tcsh.
I think you must know this. 
So I am curious that what the difference between 'at' and '.' & 'source' is.

Thansk very much.
 Best Regards 

Zaixu
Jun 19, 2012  03:06 AM | Pierre Bellec
RE: PSOM in /bin/tcsh
Dear Zaixu,

Q1: Sorry to tell you that PSOM work well on Ubuntu with /bin/tcsh,but it cannot work on Centos with /bin/tcsh.
I think it's important.

I was indeed able to reproduce the problem on tcsh and CentOS (while it works fine on Ubuntu). The issue is with "2>&1" which is necessary to properly keep track of error messages in the logs for octave. I made a minor modif in PSOM_RUN_SCRIPT to use "2>&1" only if FLAG_DEBUG is true. So PSOM will still be broken for tcsh in debug mode (which also means that PSOM_CONFIG will not work in tcsh), but it will work in standard mode (I tested it on Ubuntu/bash and CentOS/tcsh and did not have any problem). I tried to work around "2>&1" in tcsh but it turned out to be a mine field and I don't want to go there. 
And I have another question. 

Q2: Why do you use 'at' command as it must be started by administrator in MAC and OpenSUSE.
You can use '.' to execute script in /bin/sh & /bin/bash.
And you can use 'source' to execute script in /bin/csh & /bin/tcsh.
I think you must know this. 
So I am curious that what the difference between 'at' and '.' & 'source' is.
at will not suspend the work if the user unlogs. That is the one major difference. There is an execution mode in NIAK based on '.' (or simple invocation for windows) and it is called 'background'. 

Best,
Pierre

PS: I'll email you the latest PSOM development version.
Thansk very much.
 Best Regards 

Zaixu
Jun 22, 2012  04:06 AM | Zaixu Cui
RE: PSOM in /bin/tcsh
Dear Pierre:Sorry to reply so late.New PSOM works well in Centos with tcsh.I will make PANDA available for tcsh in next version.Look forward for your PSOM-1.0  Thanks very much  Best Regards Zaixu