help > dcm2niix and SIEMENS syngo_MR_XA30: Warning: Compressed image stored as fragments
Mar 3, 2024  01:03 AM | Sherri Livengood - Northwestern University
dcm2niix and SIEMENS syngo_MR_XA30: Warning: Compressed image stored as fragments

Hi there,

Is there a version of dcm2niix that handles the new dicom compression from the SIEMENS 3T scanner software version syngo_MR_XA30?

I've been having trouble converting dicoms to nifti using dcm2niix ever since we upgraded.  The scanning sequences now seemed compressed with what I think is a JPEG2000 format. Before the software upgrade, when we pushed a scan to USB, it would create a directory stucture based on scan number and type, and produce one dicom for every slice.  Now, after the upgrade, all the dicoms get dumped to the root directory of the USB or DVD, and many dicoms are compressed into one. It's now hard to identify the sequences without converting them for the dicom headers or json files, and kind of a pain even after converting them.

When I try to use dcm2niix to convert them, I get a long stream of error messages like the following:

Chris Rorden's dcm2niiX version v1.0.20230411  (JP2:OpenJPEG) (JP-LS:CharLS) GCC8.4.0 x86-64 (64-bit Linux)
Found 1171 DICOM file(s)
Warning: Compressed image stored as 64 fragments: if conversion fails decompress with gdcmconv, Osirix, dcmdjpeg or dcmjp2k export_enhanced_dicomdir/24013123/53410001/67783417
Image Decompression is new: please validate conversions

I have tried to decompress the files using all four recommended tools, and I have tried using dcm2niix for Windows and Linux, verions V1.0.20230411 and V1.0.2171215.

One of the decompression utilities finally worked - but the process was quite a pain.

Is anyone else seeing this?  I'm hoping there's a better way that I just missed.

Thanks so much for the help,

Sherri

Threaded View

TitleAuthorDate
dcm2niix and SIEMENS syngo_MR_XA30: Warning: Compressed image stored as fragments
Sherri Livengood Mar 3, 2024
Chris Rorden Mar 4, 2024