[Brains-users] brain mask - problems with automatic definition

Ronald Pierson ronald-pierson at uiowa.edu
Mon Feb 19 08:31:01 PST 2007

Just thought I'd chime in - wanted to earlier, but have been too busy.

I think one of the main problems we run into is when the brain is in an
orientation that places part of the brain outside of where our probability
map says it should be.  Take a look at the sagittal window on the attachment
that Eugene sent last week.  Then, take a look at the midsagittal slice of
your typical scan.  Now, I can't tell for sure from your snapshots, but it
would appear to me that your brain is tilted back a fair amount compared to
our standard, average orientation.  Is that the case?  If so, then the
superior frontal lobe will be higher than normal, and the cerebellum lower
than normal inside the Talairach bounds, pushing them outside of the regions
where the ANN expects to find the brain.

Is this a consistent problem?  If so, maybe you are picking the AC and PC
different from us.  We pick the AC point to be just above the AC, and the PC
point just below it.  If you picked both of them in their centers, the head
would be rotated back further than our "typical" orientation.

We are currently developing new methods to remove the dependence on
Talairach bounds and to better handle the nonstandard brains and
orientations better.  Hopefully in the next 6 months or so we will release a
method for a good no-trim brains on >90% of the cases.

Ron Pierson