[Mrtrix-discussion] Re: color coding of FODs

Donald Tournier d.tournier at brain.org.au
Sun Mar 17 20:33:43 PDT 2013

Hi Zhuang,

I'm not sure I completely understand what you're asking. Are you saying you
have a region of fibres running anterior-posterior (green) and some running
inferior-superior (blue), and that in some voxels you get a single FOD peak
with an intermediate orientation/colour? It might help if you could post an
screenshot of the problem (use the MRView 'Orientation plot' sidebar tool,
with the 'overlay' option). If did I understand correctly, then yes, this
does mean that the fibre orientation were not resolved, and yes, this will
influence the tracking results.

Also, in general I wouldn't worry about the colours of the FOD, they're
really only useful for display purposes. The *shape* of the FOD is what
matters, and in your case, a single FOD peak/lobe when you were expecting 2
distinct peaks tells you that the orientations have not been resolved.

Hope that helps.
Cheers,

Donald.

--